top of page
  • Writer's pictureElan Rysher

Full-Time Work in Agriculture Allowed for Overseas Students

The Department of Home Affairs has announced that overseas students will be permitted to work more than the usual 40 hours per fortnight during semesters if they are working in the agriculture sector. This builds on earlier concessions for international students working in the health and aged care sector.

According to a joint media release by the Ministers for Immigration and Agriculture, the changes would not just give temporary visa holders the ability to earn more income, they would also help farmers this harvest season and avoid food going to waste.

“It will also be easier for temporary visa holders to access the COVID-19 Pandemic Even visa, if they choose to work in the agriculture sector," Minister Hawke said. More than 5,600 COVID-19 Pandemic event visas have already been granted to support the agriculture sector since they were made available in April 2020.

Harvest Trail Services, administered by the Department of Education, Skills and Employment, will assist temporary visa holders to find harvest work, while continuing its focus on linking Australian jobseekers with jobs in regional horticulture areas.

Anyone looking for agriculture work should visit Harvest Trail:

ImmuUpdates posts new information about changes to Australia's visa system as it becomes available. Subscribe below to get the latest posts in your inbox.

Have any questions? Post them in the comments below or email

Elan Rysher is a Registered Migration Agent and Qualified Student Counsellor. He is the main Writer for ImmiUpdates and the founder of Rysher Migration. Elan has many years of experience working in immigration, finance and health. Being a former migrant himself, Elan is passionate about helping others fulfill their Australian dream.


Information (or the lack of it) contained in ImmiUpdates should not be relied on as immigration assistance or advice. ImmiUpdates expressly disclaim any liability, arising at law, in equity or otherwise, for any information published or not published in past, the present or future editions of the blog. People seeking immigration assistance should seek advice from a registered migration agent and those seeking legal advice should consult a lawyer. The copyright in the newsletter belongs to Rysher Migration Services and no part of the blog is to be reproduced by any means without the written consent of Rysher Migration Services


Leave us a comment


Get the latest ImmiUpdates

Recent ImmiUpdates
bottom of page