top of page
  • Writer's pictureElan Rysher

Ending 'Visa Hopping' - Student Visas

The Home Affairs Minister announced yesterday (12 June 2024) of new measures aimed to restrict visa holders' ability to extend their stay in Australia. These changes are set to commence on 1 July 2024.

The number of international students staying in Australia on a second, or subsequent student visa has grown by over 30 per cent to more than 150,000 in 2022–23.

A key commitment in the Migration Strategy, released last year, was to restrict ‘visa hopping’ - limiting the ability of students and other temporary visa holders to continuously extend their stay in Australia.

The Government has already taken action to address this, by using no further stay conditions on visitor visas and through the Genuine Student requirement implemented in March.

From 1 July 2024, Visitor Visa holders and Temporary Graduate (Subclass 485) visa holders will not be able to apply for Student Visas onshore.

According to the Government, this change makes it clear that graduates should be finding skilled jobs and becoming permanent residents, or departing the country when they are more likely to become ‘permanently temporary’.

The legislation amendments that will bring this change into effect have not yet been published.

Stay tuned for more updates on the implementation of the Migration Strategy. Subscribe to the next ImmiUpdate below.

For more information please Contact Us or email

Elan Rysher is a Registered Migration Agent and Qualified Student Counsellor. He is the main Writer for ImmiUpdates and the founder of Rysher Migration. Being a former migrant himself, Elan is passionate about helping others fulfil their Australian dream.


Information (or the lack of it) contained in ImmiUpdates should not be relied on as immigration assistance or advice. ImmiUpdates expressly disclaim any liability, arising at law, in equity or otherwise, for any information published or not published in past, the present or future editions of the blog. People seeking immigration assistance should seek advice from a registered migration agent and those seeking legal advice should consult a lawyer. The copyright in the newsletter belongs to Rysher Migration Services and no part of the blog is to be reproduced by any means without the written consent of Rysher Migration Services.


Leave us a comment


Get the latest ImmiUpdates

Recent ImmiUpdates
bottom of page